Thursday, November 12, 2009

October 14, 2009 - St. Thomas

October 14, 2009 - St. Thomas was probably my most favorite memory of the entire trip. We started out the morning at a Butterfly Farm, where I learned all sorts of new things.


Tylar was fascinated by the butterflies! She tried and tried and tried to catch them. Lucky for the butterflies, she wasn't successful.
It was pretty hot that morning, hence the rosy cheeks.


Tylar was thinking that she just might want to smugle one of these tropical caterpillars home with her....but how?


Below those are moths, not butterflies. I learned how you can tell the difference, but I don't remember. Oh well....

The butterflies were not the only stars of the show...there were fish too!

I think it was here that Tylar was shocked to learn thata butterfly as we see it is not the former caterpillar it was with a new set of wings. Nope! The caterpillar actually melts...yes melts.. within the chrysalis (not a cocoon - moths are in cocoons) and the DNA structure is completely changed as it changes into a butterfly! I had no idea!!! Maybe you already knew that, but let me tell you, it was news to me.


"I almost have it....."


Aniston and Jade were discussing how incredible it is that the caterpillars melt....melt!

Did you know that each specific butterfly will only lay its egg on a specific type of plant? If that plant is no where to be found, the butterfly won't lay her eggs....ever. I swear I never learned any of this in the second grade. That is the only time I remember ever learning about butterflies. Thanks Mrs. Browning!

The girls were watching this butterfly eat under a bench.


After the butterfly farm, Aaron, Savanna, Jade, and our crew got a local taxi (An open truck bed with seats) to take us around the island. This was my favorite thing of the entire trip. I love seeing the "non-touristy" parts of foreign places! As though I have traveled to SO many places. But honestly, it was so much fun!
Down below you can see our ship (I think that one was ours. St. Thomas has two ports). Tylar was exhausted and slept for most of the ride.
Here is our driver...I can't remember his name. I will put it in later.
Below is Meagan's Bay. The picture does not give it justice...it was gorgeous! You had to pay to go in to swim, so we just drove by.

Aniston took this picture of Tylar....I love it!
Just an iguana hangin out right below us
We made our way over to Saphire beach before we had to head out. As long as she didn't get any sand on her, Tylar was happy.

The ocean was amazing!






As we were leaving it started to POUR!
When we got back on the ship, all the kids got to go trick-or-treating, followed up by a big costume dance party with all the characters.
They had a great time until Tylar's head got a bump in the elevator....sniff.







Howdy Tex! Even Texas Austin showed up for the Halloween festivities. Fortunately, he didn't last for more than a couple hours :)We made it to dinner at the "Animators palace" with our eyes barely open.
As you walk in the entire room is black and white, but as the evening progresses, the character pictures on the wall change into color. Pretty amazing...or scary!

The night of the bunny (or dog...whatever you want it to be)


No comments: